SOUTHERN INDIA | INCLUDING THE PRESIDENCIES OF BOMBAY AND MADRAS
Drawn and engraved on steel by J. Rapkin, this series of finely engraved maps were first published in parts from the end of the 1840's and issued as a complete volume, The Illustrated Atlas in 1851. The work was re-issued a number of times until about 1865 and the maps were then used by Montgomery Martin, the author of the text in the Illustrated Atlas, in his British Colonies from 1854. The final appearance of the maps, with vignettes erased from the plate, was in geographical dictionaries and encyclopaedias until about 1880.
Good example with good margins from the Illustrated Atlas of 1851 in original outline colour and without centrefold. Vignettes of Shuhur, Jeypoor., Seal of the East India Company, Tomb of Sultan Mahomed Shah, in Bejapoor, The Governmant House in Calcutta and Indian Antiquities.