Untitled map of the area around Nymburk extending from Melnik in the west to Novy Bydzov in the west, Dneboh in the north, and Cesky Brod in the south. Engraved by John Gibson (fl.1748-1773) and published in The Gentleman's Magazine.
The Gentleman’s Magazine was founded by Edward Cave (1691-1754) in 1731, a periodical which regularly featured maps from 1736 engraved by Emanuel Bowen, Thomas Bowen, John Gibson, Thomas Jefferys and others. Cave, who used the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, was a friend of Samuel Johnson who wrote parliamentary reports for the magazine. Cave died on 10th Jan 1754 and his estate passed to his sister Mary Henry, his brother-in-law David Henry, and his nephew Richard Cave, who retained control of the magazine until 1778.
Number 21 of a series of 36 maps issued at irregular intervals from 1760 and formed a large map of Saxony, Bohemia and Silesia referred to on the index map published Jan 1760 as A New Geographical and Military Atlas.
Folds. Slight loss to top and right margins. Browing with loss to one centrefold.