Untitled map of the area around Hradec Kralove, Czechnia. Place names on the map are old German names and the major towns shown are Trautenau (Trutnov, Czechina), Arnan (Hostinne, Czechnia), Konigshof (Dvur Kralove nad Labem, Czechnia), Taromirz (Jaromer, Czechnia), Konigingratz (Hradec Kralove Czechnia), Neustatt (Nove Mesto nad Metuji, Czechnia), Wunschelburg (Radkow, Poland), Glatz (Klodzko, Poland), Habelschwerd (Bystrzyca Klodzka, Poland).
Engraved by John Gibson (fl.1748-1773) and published in The Gentleman's Magazine.
The Gentleman’s Magazine was founded by Edward Cave (1691-1754) in 1731, a periodical which regularly featured maps from 1736 engraved by Emanuel Bowen, Thomas Bowen, John Gibson, Thomas Jefferys and others. Cave, who used the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, was a friend of Samuel Johnson who wrote parliamentary reports for the magazine. Cave died on 10th Jan 1754 and his estate passed to his sister Mary Henry, his brother-in-law David Henry, and his nephew Richard Cave, who retained control of the magazine until 1778.
Number 22 of a series of 36 maps issued at irregular intervals from 1760 and formed a large map of Saxony, Bohemia and Silesia referred to on the index map published Jan 1760 as A New Geographical and Military Atlas.
Folds. Trimmed close to border line at bottom right margin.